Thursday, February 11, 2016

But I say unto you. . .

I have a little girl.  As a parent, part of my job is to point her in the right direction.  It involves teaching her that my voice has valuable information which will be critical to her success.  There are many other voices out there which will compete with mine.  Some of them may catch her ear.  She will ultimately have to decide for herself which voice she will listen to.  It scares me to think of this reality.
     This challenge reminds me of the Words of Jesus found in Matthew chapter 5.  In part of the "Sermon on the Mount"  Jesus used the teaching formula; "Ye have heard it said . . . but I say unto you."  With these words, He was challenging people to consider what they had been taught, and compare it to His Words.  Then, each individual would have to decide what they would follow; what they had been taught, or Him.  Those that found value in the Words of Jesus, would apply His wonderful teaching to their lives. Those that did not would ultimately continue in their traditions.  How frustrating this must have been for Jesus who only had the peoples' best interest in mind?
     Similarly, as a pastor, what I preach must be weighed against all other messages.  Am I teaching the traditions of men?  Am I teaching my philosophy?  Or, as is always intended, Am I preaching the Word of God?  It will be up to those hearing, or reading to decide.  I am starting this blog to try to point people in the direction that I believe to be right.  Much of today's religion focuses on feelings and opinions instead of Scripture.  I hope to challenge preconceived ideas.  It is desirable that people will compared what they know with what is said.  Ultimately, again, you will have to choose.  I hope many will join me on this journey.  May we not be guilty of the Words of Matthew 15:8-9.  "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.  But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Thank You!
Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment