Thursday, March 10, 2016

Judge Not

     We live in a society where practically everything is acceptable. (And the list of acceptable things continues to grow.)  When preachers, or Christians in general, begin to state an opposition to something, suddenly people become Biblical scholars and quote Matthew 7:1. "Judge not, that ye be not judged."  We are told we cannot voice concerns over the issues because we are judging people.  Christians aren't supposed to judge.
     I totally agree with the idea that Christians are not supposed to judge!  If we will put Matthew 7:1 back into context, the very next verse helps us to clarify.  It says, "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged..."  We are not to use OUR OWN standards.  We are not supposed to hold people to OUR opinions.  It is also interesting to note that Jesus further explained this doctrine with the parable of the mote and the beam.  In Matthew 7:5 Jesus says, "...first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother's eye."  Simply put, put your own house in order, and then you CAN help somebody else get their life straightened out.
     When Christians voice concern on the issues based on Biblical principles, we are not judging.  We are telling you what the Judge (God) has said.  We are actually commanded in Scripture to warn people that their behavior is wicked.

"When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand." (Ezekiel 3:18)

"Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men." (1 Thessalonians 5:14)

Paul set the example for us.  "I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you." (1 Corinthians 4:14)

     Here's what I know.  Jesus has forgiven me of my sins.  I asked Him to save me, and He did.  I am not perfect, but I am forgiven.  I want the rest of humanity to know the same Love of Christ that I have.  Sinful lifestyles keep us from Christ.  Any of the activities that we preach about will NOT send somebody to Hell.  Homosexuality, murder, gluttony, adultery, whatever sin you want to name will NOT send you to Hell.  They will however, keep you distracted and separated from Jesus Christ, and not knowing Jesus as Savior WILL send you to Hell.  When Christians preach against sinful living, it is to point out the root problem, life separated and lived in rejection of Jesus!
     True Christians (and there are many that take that name, but don't live by it)  are not looking down their noses at those wrapped up in sinful lifestyles.  We just know that we were once there too.  Thankfully we came to know Jesus Christ as Savior and He changed us!  We want the same thing for YOU!  The Judge has set the standards.  Heed the warnings before it is too late!  May you know the same Jesus who delivered me!

No comments:

Post a Comment