Monday, April 18, 2016

I can learn the Bible better on my own

     Personal Bible study is important!  2 Timothy 2:15 declares, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  Personal Bible study, however, needs something else.  Human beings have a way of misinterpreting Scriptures according to their own personal beliefs.  How do we keep ourselves on track?  The answer: Corporate Bible Study! Getting together with others (through a local church) to discuss and learn the Scriptures!
     I write this blog because of an awesome experience I had last Saturday.  At Anchor Landmark Baptist of Interlochen, we had a Men's Bible Study.  Five men showed up to talk about the Bible.  We didn't agree on everything, but we challenged each other to go deeper in our understanding of the Scriptures.  Personally, I had a great time, and I hope the others did too.
     Those individuals that never want to come to a small group Bible study, Sunday School, or Worship Services because they think they understand the Scriptures well enough on their own are missing out.  They are also not following the principles of Scripture.  I am reminded of Acts 8:31.  Philip asked the Ethiopian Eunuch if he understood the Scripture that he was reading.  His reply "... How can I, except some man should guide me?"  I am also reminded of Nehemiah 8:8.  Ezra reads the book of the law.  There was a group of men with Ezra and Nehemiah 8:8 explains, "So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading."  It helps to have God's Word explained.
    Now let me close with this:  I do not claim to know everything about the Bible. (If someone says they do, they are arrogant and don't really understand!) I am also human and can be wrong.  When I am wrong, I want someone to take the Bible (not their opinion or tradition) and show it to me.  Truth is more important than anything!  Especially the Truth of God's Word!  Study it by yourself, but also study it with others.  We just all may learn something!

No comments:

Post a Comment