Saturday, August 26, 2017

We Live in a Divided World


     It doesn't take long, if you are keeping up with any sort of news coverage, to see that we are living in a very divided world.  We have reached a point where people are no longer interested in having a discussion.  We are merely holding to our polarized ideas and not conceding one inch to an opposing viewpoint.  We will not even try to see the opposite side of an argument because we are too busy demonizing those who disagree.  I have to ask the question; Why?

     I find a portion of the answer in the Gospel of John. Jesus says, "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)  Satan, the thief, likes to destroy.  When people are listening to his ungodly influence they will only consider themselves.  Emotions, which come from the "flesh", drive our actions to the point where we become unreasonable and closed off to each other.  Satan, the destroyer, likes to keep humanity bickering so we fail to see our real need: Jesus Christ!

     Another portion of the answer is found in the Gospel of Matthew. Jesus again speaking says, "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." (Matthew 5:13)  In this verse Jesus compares His people to salt.  Salt gives flavor and it is a natural preservative.  God's people can have this kind of influence in the world.  However, notice the warning that Jesus gives.  If the salt loses its savor, it is good for nothing.  What does it mean to lose savor?  It means to become tasteless and no longer has the preservative ability.  When God's people stop effecting the world and start acting like it (in action and deed) we become good for nothing.  Today, I see people claiming to be "Christian" acting like the world.  We shout at the top of our lungs to drown out opposition.  We begin to name call when we can't "win" an argument. We are putting our trust into man's ideas rather than God's!  We are losing our savor and the world is paying the price for it.

     I come from a different school of thought.  I believe in God, and I trust that Jesus Christ is the only Savior!  The Bible clearly tells us that all who reject Jesus and His payment for sin (the shedding of His blood at Calvary) will end up in Hell and eventually the Lake of Fire.  It comes from God's Word and I believe it.  HOWEVER, you don't have to.  God created us as beings with a free-will and you can choose to reject the message of the Bible.  That doesn't make you any less human than me.  If someone disagrees with my beliefs it doesn't make me love them any less, in fact, my concern for their eternal soul makes me that much more concerned.  What we have to understand is that everybody, no matter what their beliefs and practices are, is HUMAN.  I believe we are made in the image of God, and that makes each one of us important.

     To close (because this blog is getting long) it is my hope that people will desire to have clear, rational, and concise discussions about issues, not shouting matches.  Nobody hears when everybody is shouting.  You don't have to agree with me, but if you listen, you just might find out where I'm coming from.  I'd love to share with anybody and everybody why I believe what I believe.  And you can tell me why you believe what you believe.  Then we will live with the choices we make. (And the consequences too)

People: Listen to each other!
God's People:  Be Salt!  - The World needs us to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment